The Juan de Fuca trail is threatened by the rampant development that turned Vancouver into an overpriced condo forest, is turning Tofino into an overdeveloped mess, and is working to make Victoria sprawl over precious farmland while making its historic downtown a generic glass-house bore.
Thanks to an inside deal between the province of British Columbia, Western Forest Products, and developers the strip of coast between China Beach and Sombrio is threatened by a time-share resort/development that will put about 260 homes within shouting distance of the shoreline. This is a horrible idea for everyone who enjoys the area not to mention the wildlife that depend on this corridor to access the ocean and move without interference.
This housing project should be a non starter because:
- This coastline is unique in terms of wildlife habitat, coastal geology, and its proximity to an urban center.
- This land offers easily accessed wilderness to people and animals alike.
- The housing will benefit very few at the cost of very many.
- The road cannot sustain additional traffic. The Sooke/Langford corridor is already congested.
- Do you assholes really need more money?
There is a community hearing September 6th. Please attend and make your voice heard.
Here are some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago of what needs protecting: